Saturday 21 April 2012

Bring In The Reinforcements!

Hello again! Sorry it's been so long since my last post, my study has kept me so busy that I haven't had time to do anything other than a single colour on my nails. I've felt so naked! So without further ado, let's get back into it!


This time I've decided to attempt the half moon look. To do this, you'll need 2 different colours of polish, and some reinforcement stickers. If you're not sure what these are, they're donut shaped stickers that you would normally put around the holes on the paper you put in your ring binders to prevent them from tearing out. I bought mine from Officeworks (if you don't have an Officeworks near you or don't live in Australia, your local stationary store should have them). Still not sure what they are? Here's a picture of mine:

 

Unfortunately the only ones I could find are clear, so it's going to be a little hard to see them in my tutorial photos below. If you're having trouble seeing them try clicking on the photos to enlarge them. Let's get started!


Step 1: After applying your protective base coat, apply one or two coats of nail polish to your nails. Don't worry too much if your tips don't have an even coverage, as long as they're smooth. With this colour the focus is on the base of your nails, so make sure you have an even coverage there. I've used China Glaze's 'VI' (yes, the number 6 in Roman numerals. Apparently this was from their 10th Anniversary collection where the colours were simply named with Roman numerals).


Step 2: After allowing your first colour to dry completely, place a reinforcement sticker over the base of your nail to mask the part of your nail that you're going to keep in your first colour. This creates the half moon shape. I found it easiest to apply the sticker using tweezers. Press the sticker down well so that you won't get any leakage underneath when applying the next coat. If the sticker isn't quite lying flat on your nail, simply snip from the outside of the ring through to the centre on the side of the sticker that isn't on your nail. You can then manipulate the sticker to lie flat. (If you're having trouble seeing the sticker in the photo below try clicking on it to enlarge it)



Step 3: Taking your second colour, put a coat on the part of your nail not covered by the sticker. It's ok to go over the edge of the sticker, but take care around the parts where the sticker meets your cuticles as you might get a bit of leakage under the sticker in those areas. I recommend using a colour that only requires one coat. I've used China Glaze's 'Seduce Me'.


Step 4: Wait about 15 to 30 seconds depending on your polish to let it dry slightly, then slowly peel off the sticker. You may need to carefully retouch the corners near your cuticles to get a perfect arc. I didn't have any problems with the stickers pulling off my first colour, but if you do just carefully touch them up too. Apply your clear top coat and your done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? I want to hear about it!
Have questions? Ask away!

Please note though that I will delete comments that aren't relevant (*cough* self-promotion *cough*). Thanks for understanding :)