Friday 27 July 2012

Watercolour Faux

I have a simple design for you today. I love things that are simple yet effective. This look is inspired by the watercolour nails that are popular at the moment. This is the waterless/acetoneless version using plastic. While it doesn't look exactly the same, it certainly has a very similar sort of effect, and is much easier/quicker/cleaner. I love the way the colours blend and overlap so that no two nails are ever the same.



To achieve this:

Step 1: Start off with a protective base coat followed by a coat or two of white polish ( I used OPI's 'Peace, Baby!').


Step 2: Once your white has dried, take a few of your favourite colours that work well together (I've used China Glaze's 'Secret Peri-wink-le', and Revlon's 'Flirt' and 'Minted'). One nail at a time, place a couple of random blobs of each colour on.


Step 3: This bit is the fun bit. Take a small square of cling wrap or other plastic, and gently place it on your wet polish and squish it down a bit, then carefully lift it off. This will cause your colours to run together and overlap a bit, creating the watercolour effect (I recommend pre-cutting your plastic squares before you start painting your nails). You need to do this step quickly before your polish starts to get tacky, otherwise it won't work.


Step 4: Finish up by cleaning the area around the nail and applying your protective top coat. Done!

Have a great weekend, and if you have any designs you want me to try or colour schemes you want to see please let me know in the comment section below and I'll see what I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? I want to hear about it!
Have questions? Ask away!

Please note though that I will delete comments that aren't relevant (*cough* self-promotion *cough*). Thanks for understanding :)