Friday 25 January 2013

Tartarus

Today I have a polish to show you from another new Aussie indie label. This is 'Tartarus' by Shades of Phoenix. Teneil from Shades of Phoenix released her first collection named 'Olympus' last week, and it's already proving to be popular with bloggers.

***I have to apologise for the photos in this post, it's been pouring rain outside for a few days now so I've had to rely on my desk lamp for photos. Sadly my camera just doesn't cope as well with the lamp light as it does with natural sunlight :(



The 'Olympus' collection is inspired by Greek mythology, and Teneil lists the inspiration behind 'Tartarus' as follows:

Tartarus (the Abyss) - It is a deep, gloomy place, a pit, or an abyss used as a dungeon of torment and suffering that resides beneath the underworld. In the Gorgias, Plato (c. 400 BC) wrote that souls were judged after death and those who received punishment were sent to Tartarus.

After that explanation it just didn't seem right to layer 'Tartarus' over a bright happy colour, so I've layered it over Zoya's 'Dove' followed by OPI's 'Happy Anniversary!'.

'Tartarus' has a clear base and is PACKED with black, pink, purple, blue and silver glitters. When I say packed, I mean packed. I have to admit that for me personally I didn't love the formula of this one. I've heard of glitter bombs but I felt that the glitter:liquid ratio of this one wasn't quite right. If you like to dab your glitter you probably won't have any problem with this polish, but when I apply glitter polishes I tend to put a blob on my nail and then sort of push it around and there just wasn't enough liquid to do that, the glitter just sort of clumped. But like I said, that's personal preference, and my method of glitter polish application may be different to others. All that being said though, once I worked out that I had to dab the end effect was really worth the effort, it's a really interesting combination of glitters!


I have another Shades of Phoenix polish that I'll review shortly, but in the mean time you can check out the facebook page where Teneil has been posting reviews as they appear. Unfortunately Shades of Phoenix isn't currently available internationally due to strict shipping laws, but those of you in Australia can buy Shades of Phoenix polishes from the etsy store (I believe the sold out shades will be restocked in the next couple of days). 'Tartarus' is a limited edition launch shade so you'd better grab it fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? I want to hear about it!
Have questions? Ask away!

Please note though that I will delete comments that aren't relevant (*cough* self-promotion *cough*). Thanks for understanding :)